Symposium Program Overview
*Please note that Atlanta, GA is in the Eastern Time Zone
This is a tentative agenda subject to minor changes. Based on feedback from the past few SEMSS meetings, we have increased opportunities for interaction between conference attendees and have increased student presentation opportunities.
Saturday, November 18th
12:00-12:30 PM On-site Registration/Check-in
- There will be no lunch, but snacks and drinks will be provided throughout the day. A warm appetizer will also be served between 2-3 pm, and there are several restaurant options within a 5-minute walk of the Emory Conference Center at Emory Point.
12:30-1:00 PM Welcome and opening remarks
1:00-1:50 PM Keynote 1: Craig Blackstone, MD, PhD - National Institutes of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. For more information see our Keynote Speakers page.
2:00-2:50 PM Breakout session 1: Details TBA,
- Undergraduate Track: Life of an MD/PhD Student
- Current MD/PhD students will share their experiences. Undergraduates will have ample time to ask questions in a panel and then smaller groups format
- Graduate Track: Career Options for Physician Scientists
- Physician-scientists from diverse career areas will share their experiences with interested graduate students, residents, and post-doctoral fellows. Physician-scientists will include those from academia, industry, and other arenas.
3:00-3:50 PM Poster session 1
4:00-4:50 PM Breakout session 2
- Undergraduate Track: MD/PhD Program Admissions Information with MD/PhD Program Directors
- Graduate Track: Networking Meet-and-Greet
5:00-5:50 PM Keynote 2: Margaret Baron, MD, PhD - Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai. For more information see our Keynote Speakers page.
6:00-6:50 PM Poster Session 2
7:00-8:30 PM Reception. Network with fellow colleagues, invited speakers, and invited faculty in the Emory Conference Center Ballroom. Heavy hors d'oeuvres and drinks will be served.
Sunday, November 19th
7:30-8:00 AM Breakfast served
8:00-10:20 AM Student Oral Presentations
10:30-11:20 AM Keynote 3
11:30-12:00 PM Closing remarks, Announcement of Poster and Oral Presentation Awards, Lunch
Funding for this conference was made possible in part by NIH R13GM109532 from the National Institute of General Medical Sciences, a component of the National Institutes of Health. The views expressed in written conference materials or publications and by speakers and moderators do not necessarily reflect the official policies of the Department of Health and Human Services; nor does mention by trade names, commercial practices, or organizations imply endorsement by the U.S. Government."